So I am absolutely in love with this city. Cuenca, Ecuador. It was recently named the number one retirement spot for Americans. I'm already planning my parent’s retirement here.
![]() |
| Night view of Cuenca from Turi overlook |
But actually, all of Ecuador is beautiful. Quito is a much nicer city than I excepted.
![]() |
| Just some pigeons flying around the main plaza in Quito |
But the best place was Otovala – an indigenous town where almost everyone is well educated and speaks English. It doesn’t get much better than that. And we were there on Saturday which is their biggest market day. So many beautiful creations, none of which I bought unfortunately. Except for a mug, I obviously had to buy a mug.
| At the Otovala Market |
And the hotel where we stayed there was beautiful! And it also doesn’t hurt that a liter of beer is $2.00, vodka, obviously called ¨ruskaya¨ is $8.00, and an absolutely delicious lunch, from a restaurant where there isn’t actually a menu just whatever they want to serve you that day, is $2.50. Everything is so different, yet I already feel totally comfortable, except for the slight language barrier problem…
Back to Cuenca, there is a beautiful river that flows right in front of my family's house. And the house is gorgeous as well. The only problem is that I'm an adopted child at the moment. The ¨mom¨ that I was supposed to have hurt her back. Making up my room… So she went to the hospital and can't have me at the house so they’re trying to find me a family. For now I'm rooming with a girl from the group. Which is good and bad. Good because I don't actually have to speak because she is fluent. Bad because I don't actually have to speak because she is fluent and I won't learn any Spanish that way. I'm so tongue-tied, it’s terrible. Hopefully It'll get better soon. I really really hope so. I also really hope I get my own family soon. Even though this house is so beautiful. Oh well.
My classes are from 3-7 everyday but Wednesday. So 4 hours 4 days a week. But I definitely need the practice. I'm also really excited for my day off on Wednesdays so I can just explore. I want to know this city as well as possible. I also can't wait to buy rings. So many beautiful ones, sort of a problem.
Another problem is the fact that this city is bipolar. Its freezing at night and in the morning and scorching hot during the day. And always a very large chance of rain. And when its really windy, like last night, the showers are freezing and won't warm up, at least in our house. I almost screamed last night it was so cold. But the fruits are all amazing. And surprisingly so is the food. I was too quick to judge it before I even got here. Even the grilled cheese last night, wonderful comfort food, was delicioso. And it doesn’t hurt that our mom is a chef…
So excited for the rest of the day!
(originally posted on June 13, 2011)


No comments:
Post a Comment